Do you play video games on your computer? Did you know that an Xbox One controller can be used to play PC games? You need a micro-USB cable and a PC running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10.
Simply connect the controller and install Windows 10’s Xbox One controller drive. You can use your Xbox One controller wirelessly with your PC you can. But you will need to connect it through a micro-USB cable if you use it for PC video games. This article will explain how to install the Xbox One controller drive for all three versions of Windows mentioned above.
Before you connect your Xbox One controller, you must update the software. This will help fix any problems with the drivers and improve the controller’s capabilities.
You can easily update your Xbox One controller software by following these steps.
- Sign in to Xbox Live on your Xbox One Console.
- If prompted, Update the console system.
- Press the Menu button and select Settings.
- Then select Devices & Accessories.
- Select the controller you want to update and click Update.
The above process will update your Xbox One controller to the latest software. Now let’s talk about how to install Windows Xbox One controller drive on your computer so you can use it for gaming.
Windows 10 Xbox One Controller Drive
If you are running Windows 10 on your PC, you are lucky. Microsoft has already built-in drivers for using the Xbox One controller. Plus, they should be automatically updated. Simply plug in the controller via a micro-USB cable, and you’re set.
Windows 7 and 8.1 Xbox One controller Dive
Most Windows PCs are configured to automatically download and install the most up-to-date hardware drivers. Connect your Xbox One controller and watch it download and install the necessary drivers automatically. You may also manually add the Windows Xbox One drivers.
Update Xbox One Controller Driver Through Device Manager.
- Open the Windows Menu (Windows Key + X) to update your Xbox One controller.
- Type “Device Manager” into the search bar and open it.
- Click on the Microsoft Xbox One Controller.
- Right-click and select “Update Driver Software.”
- Select “Search Automatically for Updated Software.”
Download and Install Xbox One Controller Driver Manually.
To download and update the Windows Xbox One controller driver manually, follow these steps:
- Go to the Xbox One Controller search page.
- Select Microsoft>Other hardware>Microsoft Xbox One Controller.
- Select the matching drivers for your PC and click Add to Basket.
- Go to your Basket and select Download.
- Open Windows Command Prompt.
- Enter the following command, which will extract the CAB file
- Expand -f:* Update-Name.cab Destination-Folder (Replace Update-Name with the name of the CAB file and Destination-Folder with the path to the update folder).
- To install the Windows 10 Xbox One controller drive, open the Update Folder and right-click on the file xb1usb.inf.
- Select Install, and then select Yes.
If you are having problems, try using a different micro-USB cable. After using your Xbox One controller with a PC, don’t forget to re-sync it to connect back to the Xbox One Console.